- Red lentils (masoor dal)- 30g
- Onion, (small) roughly chopped-1
- Tomatoes (small), finely chopped- 1
- Cumin powder- ½ tsp
- Ground coriander- ½ tsp
- Ground turmeric- ½ tsp
- Salt and pepper - to taste
- Cumin seeds- ½ tsp
- Mustard seeds- ½ tsp
- Curry leaves- 5-6
- Oil- ½ tsp
- Water- 1 cup
- In a large pan, combine the lentils, coarsely chopped onion, tomatoes, ground cumin, coriander, turmeric, and salt. Add water and bring to a simmer. Cook until the lentils begin to break down.
- In a frying pan, warm the oil over medium to high heat. Once the oil is hot, add the cumin seeds and the mustard seeds. Cover the pan and wait briefly until the mustard seeds begin to pop. Then add the finely chopped onion and the curry leaves and cook, stirring to prevent the leaves from burning, until lightly browned.
- Add the curry leaf mixture to the lentils. Cook until the flavors have melded.