Are you on your weight loss regime and craving a tangy, taste and delicious treat …?
I have come up with a healthy but tasty recipe – PAV BHAJI WITH A TWIST.
It will not only satiate your desire for some chatpata street food, but its will fit in your weight loss regime too. Just a swap of few ingredients and tadahhhh we are ready..
Few thing we can swap for making our bhaji yummy and healthy
· Have it as a meal, not snack, its healthy because it incorporates so many vegetables and a very filling meal.
· I’ve used almost all veggies.
· It’s a hidden way to feed our kids all the veggies without them knowing what they are eating. On the name of pav bhaji they are feed with so many veggies which otherwise is a task to make them eat.
· No butter, I add homemade ghee, I prefer homemade ghee over butter.
· Try a multigrain roti instead pav which is made of all-purpose flour.
The twist which we can add is:-
Ø Make a thick multigrain roti / Bhakri and make it thick to use it like a pizza base.
Ø Cook it for longer time to make it little crispy, press it with cloth instead of oiling it.
Ø Once ready add a layer of homemade tomatoes puree ( I prefer homemade )
Ø Spread thick layer of below mentioned recipe for bhaji
Ø Top it with chilli flakes and oregano
Ø Sliced / diced peppers , baby tomatoes, boiled corns ( you can add olives , jalapenos)
Ø Garnish it with crumpled cottage cheese ( paneer ) or tofu
Ø Crumped paneer gives it a look of cheese
Ø I mix half and half , half paneer , and half cheese and 1/2 tofu
Ø Serve hot
Now let’s see how to make bhaji
§ 1 Beetroot
§ 2 carrots
§ 1 potato
§ 1 capsicum
§ 250 gm French beans
§ 100 gm cauliflower
§ 100 gm broccoli
§ ½ cup peas
§ 1 cup pumpkin
§ 4 brinjal finely chopped
§ ½ cup bottle guard finely chopped
§ ½ cup spinach puree
§ 3 to 4 spoons coriander puree( blend coriander with few drops of water)
§ 3 large tomatoes, chopped
§ 2 onion, chopped
§ 3 green chillies, chopped
§ Fresh coriander for garnish
§ 1 lemon
§ 2 tsp oil
§ 1 1/2 tbsp pav bhaji masala/ gram masala ( I like Everest kitchen king )
§ 1 tbsp dhania (coriander) powder
§ Salt and red chilli powder to taste
1. Chop all the vegetables and put them in a pressure cooker (keep onion, tomato and chilli aside to sauté in other pan).
2. Add 2 cups water or see how much quantity is required to fully immerse the vegetables. Add salt, and pressure cook till vegetables for 4 to 5 whistles. ( depends on quantity)
3. Mash all the cooked vegetables using a masher. (I keep it half massed).
4. Heat oil in a pan, stir fry the onion and then add green chillies and tomatoes.
5. Add out purees ( palak and coriander )
6. Add lime and 1 tsp of sugar
7. Add all masala
8. Cook till soft. Add pav bhaji masala and dhania powder, and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
9. Add the mashed vegetables to the mix and cook on high flame.
10. See the consistency, it should be thick, if not let it cook more.
11. We need thick bhaji as we need to spread it over our multigrain base.
12. If you want to enjoy it with roti or Bhakri keep it consistency accordingly.
13. Serve with hot.
P.S : The foodartist for this recipe is Sonam Jain from Themagicplatter .